Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Making a Plan

Technically, I'm not sure if I'm really blogging since I'm on a plane from Charlotte to San Francisco – in case you wondering, yes, that's the scenic route from Buffalo. Anyway, because I'm being held captive by US Airways, I figured it was a perfect opportunity to check out the conference program. Every year I seem to forget just how many good sessions there are. Because now I'm responsible to my blog readers – note the optimism – I realized I better have a plan. My usual technique of wading in and figuring things out from session to session just won't work this time. Make a plan and execute it. It's all about the plan, right?

I was anticipating being overwhelmed trying too absorb each speaker and workshop and reporting on it. But I'm already feeling over my head just going through the program. My basic thesis was to try to catch all the big speakers, avoid sessions delivered primarily by consultants, and dabble in workshops that cover the gamut from financial, programmatic, and environmental sustainability to governance, leadership, and pedogogy. It sounded good until I tried to narrow down the choices. At this point, I have a conflict in every time slot, and for some sessions I've failed to narrow it any fewer than four great sessions. Overall, there are 9 time slots and I've got 26 sessions I really want to see. Wish me luck.

No comments: